Exercising provides a numerous amounts of benefits on your mind and body. We all know that physical activity is important on your health. Did you know that you can lower your risk of cancer with exercise? According to Harvard health, five hours of weekly exercise is linked to fewer cancer cases. Click here to see the article! Keep reading to learn why exercise helps prevent cancer, and which ones you should be doing.
Exercise linked to fewer cancer cases and why
Estimates from scientists show that roughly 3% of cancer cases per year (about 46,000) could be related to inactivity. Meaning getting less than 300 minutes of exercise per week. Cancers of the stomach, uterus, colon, esophagus, breast, and bladder were lower among more physically active people. These people do at least 300 minutes per week of moderate-intensity activity, such as power walking.
Exercise helps control weight, reduce sex hormones or insulin, and strengthens the immune system. Physical activity also boosts your quality of life and releases endorphins. Researchers from the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute link exercise with a lower risk of 13 different types of cancer! We aren’t saying that just because you exercise, you will be cancer free. But it is highly recommended to get out there and get moving! It definitely helps reduce your odds.
Which exercises should I be doing for my health?
The good news is that pretty much any exercise is good for you! Getting your body moving no matter what is the goal. If you don’t typically like doing exercise, try picking up a sport where you will be exercising without even realizing it. Having a personal trainer to push you and monitor your work helps with the motivation and making sure you reach your goals. Consult with your doctor before doing engaging in physical activity.
If you are trying to incorporate more physical activity into your life, start with these things:
- Sit less- Get up and move! If you are sitting down for hours, make sure that every hour you get up for a couple of minutes to move around.
- Schedule your exercise-It might sound silly, but if you are a busy person, it can really help to block out a time everyday dedicated to working out.
- Book a Personal Training Session with La Jolla Personal Training. We will help get you right where you need to be!
Exercise Ideas :
- Aerobic or Dance class
- Spin class
- HIIT class or workout
- Power Walking
- Strength Training (at least 2 x per week)
Other benefits of exercising :
- Improves your mood
- Reduces risk of Heart Disease
- Reduces risk of Dementia and Depression
- It also reduces the risk of Osteoarthritis
- Reduces risks of falls in older adults
- Develops new skills
- An opportunity to socialize
Eating healthy and avoiding smoking or drinking also has a major impact on your overall health. Although exercise is great, it’s good to focus on the big picture and make sure you are working on having an all around healthy body.
Exercise classes in La Jolla, California :
- Orange Theory Fitness La Jolla
- Balanced Fitness and Health La Jolla
- Soul Cycle, La Jolla
- F45 Training La Jolla
We hope that our article about how to lower your risk of cancer with exercise was helpful. Please reach out to ask us any questions you may have!